Hand Lotion Poisoning


Hand lotion poisoning occurs when allow your pet to lick hand lotion or hand cream after you apply when you have had a shower and moisturize.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency vet.

Alternative Names
Hand cream poisoning

Poisonous Ingredient

Mineral oil
Paraffins (waxes)
Various alcohols

Where Found
Various hand lotions and creams


Possible intestinal obstruction, resulting in abdominal pain

Home Care

Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a pet throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.
Immediately give your dog water or milk, unless instructed otherwise by a health care provider. Do NOT give water or milk if the patient is having symptoms (such as vomiting, convulsions, or a decreased level of alertness) that make it hard to swallow

Before Calling an Emergency vet Determine the following information:

dogs age, weight, and condition
Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
Time it was swallowed
Amount swallowed

What to Expect at the Emergency vets office

The health care provider will measure and monitor your dogs vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. Your dog may receive:
Activated charcoal
Fluids through a vein (by IV)
Medication to treat the effects of the poison
Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach

Outlook (Prognosis)

How well your dog does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Because these products are considered relatively nonpoisonous, recovery is very likely.