It’s almost inevitable at one point or another that your dog or puppy is going to get into – and ingest – something he shouldn’t! While never pleasant, sometimes the best thing for him to do is to vomit.
If your dog has ingested something that puts him in eminent danger (such as poison), contact the vet immediately. You can ask the vet if the following technique would suffice, or if the animal needs to be brought in.
If the dog has digested something that isn’t an emergency (it’s own poop, perhaps – puppies do this all of the time), you can use hydrogen peroxide to get the dog to throw up. Many dogs eat crazy things and are just fine, but some dogs have difficulty digesting abnormal things and have discomfort in their bellies by doing so.
For every 10 pounds the dog weight, carefully administer 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide. Regardless of weight, start with just 1 teaspoon and, if necessary, work your way up to a maximum of 3 teaspoons. This should induce foaming at the mouth, followed by vomiting.
If your dog or puppy keeps eating its own poop (called coprophagia), administering hydrogen peroxide often is probably not the best remedy. Consider feeding the dog a small serving of pineapple. After the dogs eliminates, he will not want to eat it because the sweet taste is changed after it runs through the intestinal tract.
Tips & Warnings
Keep an eye on your dog throughout this process
Do not exceed 3 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide