Dogs are more likely than humans to get stung by bees because they like to play with anything that moves, including bees and their hives. But dogs are just as likely to be allergic to those stings and have bad reactions. This makes it vital to learn how to treat a dog for bee stings at home and to know when it’s time to get him or her to a professional.

Read more:


    • Remove the stinger immediately in case your dog is allergic to the poison and goes into anaphylactic shock. Using a credit card, scrape out the part of the stinger you can see or pull the whole stinger out with tweezers, but only if you can reach it. Breaking it will allow more poison into your dog’s blood stream. If you can’t reach it, leave it alone unless your dog needs veterinary attention. Then let your vet get it out.

    • Assess your dog’s physical condition. If he or she is having problems breathing, acts weak, disoriented, or is vomiting or having diarrhea, see a veterinarian immediately. If your dog seems OK, continue to keep an eye on them for at least 24 hours.

    • Clean the area of the sting with a baking soda and water paste. This will also help if the area starts to swell or gets itchy.

    • Give your dog a dose of an over the counter antihistamine to counteract minor reactions, but only after you’ve gotten approval and dosage information from your veterinarian.

    • Use a cold pack on the area for a few minutes several times a day to help with any lingering pain your dog may experience. The cold should also help with any low grade fever your dog may be carrying.